Last week, I did a serious refrigerator clean out which you may have seen, here. I had vegetables that were getting toward the end of freshness and needed to be used, hence my newest recipe; Vegetable Melange with Sweet Italian Sausage. It’s quick & easy and the perfect way to use fresh produce for a healthy meal that is oh-so-satisfying!
Vegetable Melange with Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 pound Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 zucchini squash sliced
- 1 yellow squash sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup Bella mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 3 cups vodka sauce or marinara sauce
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup fresh spinach sliced
- pasta polenta or vegetable spirals
- parmesan cheese
- Heat a medium nonstick saute´ pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage; break into small crumbles and stir occasionally until brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of crockpot. Layer the cooked pork, vegetables, vodka sauce, wine, and herbs; cover with the lid.
- Turn crockpot on low and cook for 8-10 or according to manufacturer’s instructions. The last 15 minutes of cooking time; stir in sliced spinach.
- Serve immediately with your favorite pasta, polenta or vegetable spirals. Top with grated parmesan cheese.