This year Greg and I are opting out of travel and staying home for our July 4th celebration. If grilling is an option for your festivities…let me help! We are grilling burgers and I crave the flavor of my Mushroom, Onion & Swiss Burger. This recipe includes umami-rich ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, sauteed baby bella mushrooms, and onions, topped with Swiss cheese!! Such an amazing flavor profile that enhances the beef! I will use 85% lean ground beef for a bit of added fat and flavor. Serve with potato salad, grilled veggies, coleslaw, baked beans, and a mixed berry cobbler for the perfect holiday meal! Enjoy and Happy Fourth!!
Mushroom, Onion & Swiss Burger
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground pepper divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 2- ounces whole-grain hamburger buns toasted
- 1 cup barbecue sauce divided
- 4 cups arugula
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add mushrooms and onions. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add ¾ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to 400°F. The fire should be quite hot; you should barely be able to hold your hand 3 or 4 inches over the grates. After the coals are gray, spray grates with cooking spray or brush with oil to help keep burgers from sticking. Combine Ground Beef, Worcestershire sauce, ¾ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. black pepper in a large bowl, gently mixing until fully incorporated. Be careful not to over mix. Shape Ground Beef into 8 patties.
- Place patties on the grill and cook about 4 minutes per side for rare, and another minute per side for each increasing stage of doneness. Top each burger with Swiss cheese the last 2 minutes of cooking time or until melted.
- Place burgers on bottoms of buns. Evenly top burgers with sautéed mushrooms and onions. Drizzle 2 Tbsp. of barbecue sauce on each burger. Top each burger with ¼ cup arugula.