All I want to eat this time of year is soup! Although it can be enjoyed year-round, this is really the time of year I want a warm bowl of nourishing goodness. This has been one of my go-to from scratch recipes for years! Once you have the basics down, it is so easy to accommodate to your family’s preferences or what you have in your fridge! For this recipe, I truly took inventory of what I had on hand, using up any veggies that were nearing expiration and frozen chicken. Once you feel like you have the measurements down, adjust anything to your liking! I simply love this recipe and hope you do too. Enjoy!
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 2 whole, large chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup celery, sliced
- ½ cup carrots, sliced
- ½ cup zucchini, sliced
- ½ cup white onion, sliced
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small potato cubed
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 14.5 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 15 oz can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Place chicken breast halves in crock pot container, drizzle with olive oil.
- Add celery through chicken broth and stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, HIGH for 6-8 hours, or according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking time, add kidney beans.
- Shred chicken and serve.
~Liquid should cover ingredients. Add additional broth or water if needed.
~Make flavor adjustments with spices, salt and pepper.
~Change vegetable selections according to your preferences or what you have available.