Recently, I was asked by my dear friend Kati Epps, a contributing editor for Austin Fit Magazine, to collaborate for the September issue. The topic? Healthy Tailgating! Given my Austin roots, love of clean eating, fitness, and football, this collaboration was truly a match made in heaven! In 1999, we moved from Dallas to Austin and resided in the beautiful Steiner Ranch area for over 22 years. We split our time between the beautiful city and Fort Worth. Therefore, I consider myself somewhat of an Austin native.
Together, Kati and I created a few recipes that are sure to align with your clean-eating goals and please the tailgate crowd. It is a common myth is that healthy eating comes at the cost of minimized flavor, and the recipes we created prove that is simply not the case!
My biggest piece of advice when developing a healthy menu for a pass-time with historically not so healthy menus, is to find clean alternatives to the traditional menu. For example, if your menu consists of a fatty smoked brisket…replace with perfectly grilled Tequila Marinated Beef Skewers. This lean cut of beef is not only a clean and easy alternative, but it is packed with protein and flavor that is sure to please. The tequila marinade is a fabulous combination of umami-rich ingredients that compliments the incredible flavor of beef. Threaded on a skewer and grilled to perfection, the Tequila Marinated Beef Skewers will be quite the hit.
During the month of September, I will showcase recipes dedicated to celebrating tailgating, healthy style! This week I am sharing Tequila Marinated Beef Skewers which are loaded with incredible flavor and packed with protein!
May this fall bring you the most incredible tailgates and keep you healthy, fit, and in line with your goals! Cheers and GO FROGS!!!
Tequila Marinated Beef Skewers
- 1 Beef Tenderloin, (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 24 Bamboo Skewers
- ¼ cup Fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ cup Fresh Orange Juice
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup Shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Silver Tequila
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- Slice beef diagonally, across the grain, into 1/4-inch slices. Thread each slice onto a bamboo skewers. Place in a shallow pan.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice and remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over beef skewers. Cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours; turning occasionally.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to 400 F.
- Remove skewers and discard marinade. Place skewers on grates and cook approximately 3-5 minutes per side or to desired degree of doneness.
- Partially freeze beef for easier slicing or have your butcher slice for you.
- Tenderloin is an excellent cut but use strip steak, sirloin, or flank steak.
- If you don’t have a grill, use a rill pan for excellent results.